Skip to main content

Film Review: "The Gift"

Image via Variety.com

I will admit that when the first trailers for The Gift came out, it looked like a very generic and uninteresting thriller that gave me no desire to go out and watch it. But as it got closer to its release, critics began to see this film and came out buzzing with excitement for it. Positive word of mouth spread like wildfire and before I knew it, this movie had become a "must-see" for me. Well, after four weeks of its original release, I finally got around to watching this film and I could not believe what I saw. You see, The Gift did not end up being a good film. It ended up being a great one. 

**WARNING: SPOILERS AHEAD**

The first time I ever paid attention to Joel Edgerton was when he appeared in Warrior, a movie that I absolutely love. Ever since then, I've been keeping an eye on him hoping to see him turn out more fantastic movies such as that one. While he hadn't impressed much in the films he had done between Warrior and The Gift, with Zero Dark Thirty and The Great Gatsby being the two standouts, I never lost hope in him because he had shown such great potential. What Edgerton did with this film was take all of that potential and show just how multifaceted he really is. Not only does he star in The Gift, he also wrote and made his directorial debut with it. 

One of the things that I love about this being his directorial debut is that he didn't start off with a big budget movie. Instead, he started with a film that had a $5,000,000 budget and made the most out of it. As a director, Edgerton was able to efficiently build suspense throughout the whole film. He kept an even pace and made sure that every scene had a purpose to the overall story. And as a writer? Edgerton crafted a very entertainingly creepy story with believable dialogue and actions. He also created characters that you could care for and characters that you could absolutely hate. My favorite thing that he was able to do, however, was the way he blurred the line between protagonist and antagonist because by the end of the movie, you just don't know who the bad guy REALLY is.

The movie starts off with married couple, Simon and Robyn (played by Jason Bateman and Rebecca Hall), buying a new home together. While shopping for things for their new home, Simon is approached by Gordo (Joel Edgerton), who is an old acquaintance from their high school days. After their run-in with Gordo, he begins to deliver random gifts to their home which eventually leads to Robyn inviting him over to dinner. As their weird relationship with Gordo develops, we learn that Robyn was at one time pregnant but lost the baby. We also learn that she had some sort of substance abuse issue in the past. After their first dinner, things start to get even weirder when Gordo has them over to dinner at his place. The night ends with Simon telling Gordo to leave them alone as he is not comfortable with having him around. All the while, Robyn has been becoming suspicious as to why Simon dislikes Gordo so much. The deeper that Robyn digs into Simon, the more distant he becomes which strains their relationship and brings Robyn back to abusing pills. After Robyn passes out from what appears to be some sort of overdose, Simon confronts her about her drug use and from then their relationship seems to improve with Robyn even getting pregnant again. However, as Gordo continues to terrorize them, Robyn begins uncover facts as to Simon and Gordo's history and finds out that Simon bullied Gordo in such a terrible way that it lead to Gordo almost being murdered by his own father. Things unravel from then and Simon's life spirals out of control and losing his wife and job in the process. This magnificent story is capped off by an even better ending. We find out that when Robyn passed out, it was because Gordo drugged her and he filmed himself as he is about to rape her but shuts the camera off before he begins leading Simon (and us) to wonder if Robyn's baby is Simon's or Gordo's.

All of the three leads in this film did a phenomenal job in portraying their respective characters. I really enjoyed seeing Bateman in a more serious role as opposed to his typically comedic roles. I thought his performance in The Gift was overall very good. Rebecca Hall was also outstanding in portraying a character who while clearly being very troubled, also being very strong in her own right. The star of the film is undoubtedly Joel Edgerton, however. He gave off a very subtle, creepy vibe and as the writer/director, made sure to not include his character in more scenes than needed. This is very creepy movie that feels very real as well. It will scare you, but it will not scar you. Overall, it was very entertaining despite its slow pace and I give it an 8.5/10. With Halloween season upon us, this movie is perfect to kick it off.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Jurassic World Review

Image via Joblo.com *THIS POST MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS* When the original Jurassic Park came out, I was not yet born and therefore I don't know what it was like to see it in theatres for the first time. After watching Jurassic World , however, I think I have a pretty good idea of what that must have felt like. In many ways, this movie was a lot more terrifying than most horror films nowadays. I honestly don't remember the last time I watched a movie in theaters that had my heart pounding as much as this one did. One of the things that this movie did so well was create the same wonder and awe that the original did, while staying original and keeping up with its time. We are thrown into this world where, due to scientific improvements, humans are able to produce dinosaurs and a theme park is finally built around them. The problem that these scientist and park operators are dealing with, however, is having to deal with a generation of people that is constantly asking for th...

Classic Movie Monday (Christmas Edition): Home Alone

For most kids growing up in the 90s, Home Alone was THE Christmas movie to watch. This is the story of Kevin, an 8-year old kid who gets forgotten at home when the entire family leaves to Paris for the holidays. As a result, he has to fend for himself while also protecting his home from intruders. Macaulay Culkin as Kevin was a representation of what most kids wanted to be, which was totally independent and the smartest guy in the room.              There are certain films that you can watch and no matter how much time has passed, it still feels like a story you could tell today in the exact same way as it was told back then. This is not one of those films. Home Alone very clearly a product of its time. It’s like digging up a time capsule from the 90s and seeing what the world, or just movies in general, were like. The entire premise and the way it all unfolds would probably never work in today’s world. I mean it barely work...

The Best and Worst Films of the Year (Pre-Oscar Season)

With the "Oscar Season" about to start, I thought I would give a list of my favorite movies of the year so far as well as the most disappointing ones. This list will obviously only contain films that I have seen so movies like Ex-Machina , Me and Earl and the Dying Girl , and Dope , which all seem like terrific movies, will not be on my list because I don't yet have an opinion on them. This list also reflects only my opinion so it will look a lot different than your list or somebody else's list, but the beautiful thing about film is that it is subjective and everybody will have different opinions. So while you may not agree with my picks, others might. There is no right or wrong list when it comes to movies. I will start off with my 3 most disappointing movies before talking about what I feel are the top 10 best  movies of the year so far. So without further ado, here are my lists: Top 3 Most Disappointing Films 3. Aloha Going into this movie, I thought there co...